Sep 23, 2018 – Match Day Roundup 

St. George Progress to the Ethiopian Cup Semi-Finals
Last season’s Premier League runners up St. George booked their place in the Semi-Final of the Ethiopian Cup after beating Sidama Bunna 7-6 on penalties.

St. George reached the quarter-finals after beating Wolaitta Dicha while Sidama Bunna won their game against Hawassa Ketema.

In what was the first competitive fixture of the Ethiopian New Year both clubs fielded a few their new signings. Getaneh Kebede and Abel Yalew, who both signed from Dedebit, made their debut for St. George. Abebayehu Hussein also made his first appearance for Sidama Bunna.

The game was short of chances and the regular time ended in a 0-0 draw. Mulualem Mesfin missed a penalty from St. George while both Fetudin Jemal and Yosef Yohannes failed to convert from the spot as their side got knocked out of the Ethiopian Cup.

The Semi-Final games will take place on Tuesday at Hawassa. Ethiopia Bunna will face Mekelakeya at 2 P.M and at 4 P.M St. George will meet Jimma Aba Jifar. The competition will come to a close next Saturday and Champion will participate in the CAF Confederations Cup.

Shemeles Scores While Gatoch Gets The Win 

Shemeles Bekele was on target as Petrojet lost to El Gounah in Saturday’s Egypt Premier League action. Ethiopian National Team players Shemeles and Gatoch Panom faced each other in a game that ended with a 2-1 win for the visitors.

Shemeles captained his side and was the creative hub for Petrojet. But he only managed to get on the score-sheet in the dying minutes of the game.

Gatoch, who is still acclimatizing to his new surroundings, didn’t see much of the ball. However, he played a vital role by winning balls and closing gaps in the middle of the park.

Benyam Belay Started For Skenderbeu in the Albania Super League

Benyam Belay was a starter as Skenderbeu  faced Tirana in a league game on Saturday. Skenderbeu went in to the game top of the Albania Super League with 10 points after 4 games. Their opponents were in 8th place. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.